I have done some research and here are the facts that I learned about the Quince tree:
- The scientific name is "Cydonia oblonga" and belongs to the Rosaceae family
- The fruit looks like a pear but can't be eaten raw as its very hard
- The fruit has a wonderful perfume
- In Portugal the same tree is called "Marmeleiro" and the fruit is called "Marmelo". When I was younger I remember eating the jam "Marmelada". It was delicious.
- In Spring, the Quince tree has some of the most wonderful flowers - I am looking forward to that